Board Member Application
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL JANUARY 11, 2019. The Board of Directors for Gateway Pet Guardians governs the overall execution of the organization’s mission. Principally, the Board manages organizational finances and sets long term priorities for programs. Additionally, the Board oversees the Executive Director, who is responsible for day-to-day management of the organization. Overall, the members of the Board contribute the educational, management, legal, and financial skills needed to ensure long term organizational stability and ensure year-to-year excellence for the mission of Gateway Pet Guardians.
The Board of Directors has up to 9 voting members. Terms are for 3 years.
Board Member responsibilities include attendance at regular board meetings (12 per year), a strategic planning session and a leadership retreat. Additionally, teleconference meetings and active electronic conversations as part of Board matters are required and Board members are expected to engage and respond in a timely manner. In some years the Board has held additional meetings. Board members also hold a fiduciary responsibility for management of organizational capital and ensuring appropriate filings with federal, state, and local authorities consistent with the organization’s status as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The attendance policy allows for removal of a board member if three consecutive meetings are missed.
Declaration of Candidacy
Board positions require a time and energy commitment that should not be underestimated. Applicants are urged to consider personal priorities as well as the ways to contribute to the development of the organization.
Resources available to prospective members:
- Organizational Documents: Bylaws, tax filings and FY Budget upon request
- Program Overview & Calendar of Events
- Email or call with the Executive Director Jamie Case with questions.
- Submit the Board Application and your résumé to Angie Schaefer, President, Board of Directors, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “GPG BOARD MEMBER APPLICATION” in the subject line.
- Copies of the completed application will be distributed to the Nominating Committee will aid in understanding how you would like to contribute to the organization’s work.
Time and Financial Considerations
- Board Meetings – Second Monday of each month, 6 p.m. CST. In person meetings unless otherwise declared by the President.
- Committee Work (generally by email and/or phone, may include in-person meetings).
- Annual Strategic Planning Meeting.
- Annual Leadership Retreat.
- Fundraising events – board participation to be communicated for each event.
Donations: As with any Board, members will be solicited for cash or in-kind donations; 100% participation is sought; the amount is optional but we ask that board members consider giving a minimum of $1,200 annually through our Giving Guardians program. Board members are also expected to actively participate in various fundraising campaigns and events throughout the year as determined by the Executive Director and Director of Development.